Sunday, February 12, 2012

Computer Forensics for App Protection


I am creating an app called South Campus Congestion—where GPS’s will be installed on all busses. The app will generate the best times for students to take the bus to and from campus to avoid congestion. Every time a student takes the bus, they will essentially “check in” thus alerting other students when a bus is at capacity.

From my understanding, computer forensics is computer investigation and analysis techniques used to gather evidence. For my South Campus Congestions app, I do not believe computer forensics would be necessary but it is vital for the kind of app business I want to run. In terms of hackers logging into student accounts from the application it would benefit my team and I to find out whom this person is, how many people they have affected and I could take it forward to the court of law if need be. Cases like this can simply happen from someone losing their phone and leaving all their information logged in.

This is not only limited to criminal hackers but if someone inside my business were to do something unethical like, snooping in students or professors personal business. I plan to expand my application for other universities once it reached maximum success at Syracuse But, when you are hiring employees, you never know a person’s true intentions. Some people hack things for the thrill, while other’s truly have a motive. They could use Wireshark, to find out student passwords which then gives them access to all of the clients information on Myslice, including but not limited to their on campus and permanent housing address, phone numbers, parents names, and social security number. Then I will have a classic case of identity theft on my hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment